Bailiffs: know your rights

posted by in Living with debt

Not all bailiffs are burly!

Not all bailiffs are burly!

The threat of bailiffs (now officially called enforcement agents) at the door can be extremely worrying if you don’t know what powers they have or how to deal with them. Before I started working here I, like most others, thought of bailiffs as a burly men banging the door down. That’s enough to scare anyone, but it’s often far from the truth.

The best way to deal with bailiffs is to know your rights, and this is where we can help.

We’ve put together an infographic which lists the dos and don’ts when dealing with bailiffs. It’s a handy checklist to refer to for quick advice, but as you may know, bailiff debt law is a complicated topic and it’s important that you get some free and impartial advice if there’s a threat of bailiffs coming to your home.

This article was first written in 2012, there have been updates to bailiffs law since then. For the most up to date information please visit our website.

Powers of bailiffs

A bailiff is authorised to collect a debt on behalf of a creditor and there are several different types of bailiffs, all of whom have different powers;

  • County court bailiffs
  • Certificated bailiffs
  • Private bailiffs

They can be used to collect different types of debts, not limited to county court judgments (CCJs), council tax, magistrates court fines, maintenance to the Child Support Agency (CSA) and outstanding rent. Get in touch with us if you want to know more about the different types of bailiffs and their powers.

What’s a warrant of execution?

A bailiff must be legally authorised to collect the debt and a warrant of execution is a document which allows a county court bailiff to take and sell goods to pay a judgment, as well as any court costs and fees. It can only be issued once a payment has been missed on a county court judgment (CCJ).

How to suspend a warrant

If a creditor has applied for a warrant of execution you’ll receive a notice from the courts informing you that a warrant has been issued and giving a date when they will visit your house. This notice will normally give you at least seven days’ notice.

You can make a combined application to the courts to have the warrant of execution suspended and change the payment to an affordable amount, using an N245 form.

If you don’t apply for the notice to be suspended, bailiffs will be able to attend your home on the date stated and remove goods to sell on. You can prevent this by paying the amount in full.

Entry into your property

Most bailiffs don’t have the right to force their way into your home. Although it’s rare, exceptions to this rule include bailiffs dealing with:

  • eviction orders
  • persistently unpaid court fines and
  • unpaid taxes

Most other bailiffs have a right of peaceful entry only. This means that they can’t use force to enter a home, for example by breaking a window or a door. However, they can enter through an open door and can climb over fences and gates.

You don’t have to let a bailiff into your house. They can’t force their way past you and if all doors are securely closed they can’t gain peaceful entry to a house unless they’re allowed in.

Once a bailiff has gained peaceful entry into a property and levied they can come back at any time to remove the goods.

Levying of goods

The power to levy is the power of bailiffs to seize, secure, and if necessary sell goods in order to clear a debt. It’s likely that the bailiff will walk around your house and make a list of any valuable items that they could sell.

There are certain things that bailiffs can’t take such as ‘tools of the trade’ needed for work, and certain household items such as beds etc. They can’t take goods that are on hire purchase or items that don’t belong to you (although it would be up to you to prove that they belong to someone else).

Once the bailiff has levied goods they have a number of options, one of which is that the bailiff will ask you to sign a ‘walking possession agreement’.

What’s a walking possession agreement?

A walking possession agreement means that you’ve agreed that any levied goods now legally belong to the bailiff and can be removed at any time if the debt isn’t paid. If you sign the agreement, they’ll usually leave the goods with you provided that you maintain any arrangement you’ve made to pay the debt.

A walking possession order is likely to be written but would be equally valid if it was a verbal arrangement.

Ultimately, it’s important to remember that bailiffs are employed to put pressure on you to clear the debt. The golden rule to remember is that in most cases they’d much rather come to an agreement with you to pay the debt rather than incur costs and go to the inconvenience of selling goods.

And remember that debt collectors aren’t bailiffs and they have no enforcement power whatsoever so it’s important to know the difference.

If you’re worried about bailiffs it’s best to get some free and impartial debt advice as soon as possible. We’ve blogged before about the difference between avoiding bailiffs and dealing with them now and we’re sure that you’ll agree that seeking advice sooner rather than later is always best.

You can read more about bailiffs on our website.

Pavan Gata-Aura is a qualified debt advisor with 6 years of experience. She enjoys spending time with her two children, fundraising for charities, has spent time volunteering in Africa and takes part in organised races.

Written by

Tags Living with debt
  • Louise Watts

    Hi I wonder if you can give me some advice?

    Yesterday I had a Marston Holding Bailiff come to my address with a court fine going back to 2009 for no road tax on a vehicle amounting to £791.
    This car was my ex partners but the log book was in my name.

    I cant afford to pay in full but want to make an arrangement, which the bailiff refused. I didnt let him in the house and spoke to him by his car.

    I am worried as I have a car but on finance. What are the chances of him getting a lock smith or trying to take my car?

    I have until tomorrow to contact him.

    I am a single parent on a low income.

    Please advise me as I am really worried.

    Kind regards

    • moneyaware

      Hi Louise,

      Thanks for your message.

      I’m very sorry to hear about this situation, dealing with bailiffs can be very worrying.

      It might be worth visiting the Marston website to see if there’s
      any information about what you can do in this situation.

      You could contact them over the phone to say you’ve tried to
      arrange a payment plan but the bailiff refused – and see if they’re able to help you set one up.

      It might help to have evidence of how much you have spare to pay
      towards the debt, we have an income and expenditure form that can help you do this:

      If you’re trying to make an arrangement to repay the debt, it’s unlikely the bailiff will force entry into your home.

      You also mentioned that you have a car on finance, if you can prove that the car is on finance, and you haven’t made the final payment towards it, the bailiff shouldn’t take it.

      We’ve also got a section on our website about bailiffs, it
      explains what they can and can’t do, and the process a creditor (the person you owe money to) must follow before a bailiff can be
      used. You can find it here:

      You may also find it useful to call our Helpline for advice, you
      can find out how to talk to one of our debt advisors here:

      I hope this helps,


    • Tom Heathfield

      Do not deal with Marstons. Speak to the DVLA as they are the organisation to whom you allegedly owe the money and do not be fobbed off by them telling you you need to sort it out with the bailiffs. Insist that the DVLA and you sort it out between yourselves.

      You have no legal obligation to deal with Marstons.

  • Kayleigh Roughley

    Hi I’m currently undergoing proceedings to end bailiff action with council tax advisors and they are currently dealing with the complaint against me for my council tax arrears. The bailiff had already visited the address before I got onto the company. Mainly because I’d never seen the letters my partner had been hiding from me. I’ve not spoken to the bailiff or answered the door under instruction from debt advisors. However I was wondering whether the bailiff can visit your address more than once in the same day if he left the premises of his own accord and left a letter? Thanks in advance.

  • Dorian

    Hi I just had a bailiff at my door saying I owe 349 for a road traffic ticket in a car I had on hire purchase but give bk January 20015 and this ticket is for April 2015 in England and I live in wales I have had no letters to say they r coming to the house I have been in contact with the dvla am they have the new drivers details off the car I have proof to say that we didnt own the car wen this happened but they still demand tha I pay in full in 24hours wat can I do plz help I dont see y I should pay it if it weren’t me

  • Gary Fielding

    Hi I missed a last payment ov 57 pound on a fine for a bus lane ticket I have had a letter to my friends house where I stay couple ov days saying they will remove goods as they now want 292 pound is there anything I can do plz

    • moneyaware

      Hi Gary,

      If you’re dealing with a bailiff for this debt (often called enforcement agents) then it’s possible they could try and remove goods from the property they have on their records for you if you fall behind on payments.

      There’s some information on our main website about bailiffs and what they can take: Hopefully it won’t come to that, but it’s better to be prepared.

      You may be able to get the agreement put back in place if you talk to them, though this isn’t guaranteed.

      I’d recommend you get in touch with us for debt advice as soon as possible. Here’s some details about how our advice works:



      • Gary Fielding

        It’s just the address they have is a friends house where I stay couple of times a week it’s not my fixed address as I don’t have one can they take my friends items ?

      • moneyaware

        Hi Gary,

        A bailiff should only take items that are owned by you or owned jointly by you and someone else. The shouldn’t take things that aren’t yours.

        I’d recommend getting in touch with the bailiff and trying to get an arrangement in place before they visit. You can contact us beforehand if you’d like some advice on how to deal with them:

        Kind regards


  • Toni Eldridge

    Hi, this morning have had an enforcement officer at my door for a warrant against a company that was previously registered and still unbeknown to me still registered at this address. I took the tenancy over 16 months ago when the previous tenant died. The officer told me that if the outstanding amount wasn’t paid in so many days he would revisit to cease goods to the amount owing even though it has nothing to do with me the company is registered at my home still so I’m liable is this true?
    Kind regards

    • moneyaware

      Hi Toni,

      Thanks for posting. I’m sorry to hear about this, it must be very stressful.

      If the debt doesn’t belong to you you should get in touch with the company chasing it to let them know.

      We have a page on our website that talks about what to do if you’re being chased for a debt that’s not in your name:

      I hope this helps,


  • Steve K

    Hi, my mum has just had 2 enforcement officers bully her into paying a £3,000 debt on behalf of her son who doesn’t live at the house but used the address without permission.
    They inferred they would remove goods and a neighbour came round to help and paid the debt that she now owes to him.

    Her son who has no contact with anyone in the family due to lots of misbehaviour will never repay this.

    Can she get this money back as the debt isn’t hers and not in her name?

    • moneyaware

      Hi there,

      Thanks for posting. This sounds like a stressful situation.

      I think the first step would be to make a complaint about the bailiff that dealt with this debt. There’s more information on how to do this here:

      The above article also includes steps to follow if the bailiff company doesn’t deal with the complaint to your satisfaction, including other organisations to contact.

      I hope this helps.


      • Steve K

        Thank you for your help. I made a complaint to the bailiff’s and they refunded the full amount in 7 days. Regards Steve

      • moneyaware

        Thanks for the update Steve, we’re really pleased to hear this has worked out for you.

        Kind regards

  • John

    Hi I sold a car almost two years ago now and enforcement officers have gone to my previous address. They were for driving offences parking tickets driving in bus lanes etc.. I thought I’d put them all straight what can I do now I have no way of knowing how to contact them? Can they just turn up at my new address I have children and am quite worried about it any info would be great thanks.

  • Georgina taylor

    I have had Rundoes threatening to send me to prison, I have been paying my debt over the last 3 months and am £100 ahead of what I should be, I fell out of work and have paid £25 perror week which they originally wanted as a minimum paymentioned but as I was working in offered £150 per month I then came out of work and contacted my baliff who refused to take anything less and also ignored all my messages and I had my phone got cut off and also all my Internet, I tried to make a payment of £60 over phone which was refused and also refused over automated phone payment line so then found out I could do it on line so payed only 25 and they accepted. I have received a messageneral from my baliff today saying he is applying for me to serve 90days in prison as I haven’t stuck to £150 per month I don’t know what tother do and where I stand

    • moneyaware

      Hello Georgina

      I’m so sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this. From what you’ve described it sounds like you may have an ongoing debt problem – therefore I think that the best way to move forward would be to call us for debt advice.

      We can take you through bailiffs rights and responsibilities and help you deal with the issues that you’re facing so that you’re not alone.

      Our number is free, please get together – your income, your outgoings and your total debts:
      0800 138 1111
      Mon-Fri 8am-8pm, Sat 8am-4pm

      In the meantime, you can read more about bailiffs here:

      I hope that this helps, I would strongly recommend that you give us a call.


  • Steve H

    Hi all, i have only just joined the site as I find myself in trouble with bailiffs for council tax! Is anyone able to help please?

    • moneyaware

      Hi Steve

      Sorry to hear that you’re having problems with council tax arrears. You can read more about them here:

      Council tax is what is known as a priority debt, as there can be serious consequences to not paying so it’s a good idea to deal with this as quickly as possible.

      We can help give you advice on your specific situation – I’d recommend that you give us a call, or get debt advice online using our debt remedy tool:

      Before you do either of these things, gather together details of your outstanding debts, income and regular expenses. Whether you do it online or call us, we can look at your situation in detail and start taking you through steps to get back on track.


  • Idylla

    Hello there, I just received a message from a phone that I have no idea +44 7718045919 and it says:
    Despite previous notices and attendance I shall attend take control of good s unless full payment is made today if payment is not made immediately you will be liable for substantial additional cost ref…6080311 Monika
    First of all I can’t find the ref number anywhere, second of all grammar mistakes, third no explanation about what is this for. Can someone tell me if bailiff can actually send a message like this?

    • moneyaware

      Hi Idylla,

      Apologies for the delay in replying.

      It’s very hard to know if the message you received is genuine or not. I’m not aware of any rules that say a bailiff couldn’t send a text message to discuss a debt but I wouldn’t expect it to be the first method of contact. Usually, you’d have received letters (and quite a few) before a debt got to the stage that a bailiff was planning a visit.

      Bailiffs will usually be involved to enforce a debt that has gone through court. Typically this would be unpaid CCJs, council tax, or debts to HMRC. If you have any debts like this then it could relate to that.

      We can give you support and advice with dealing with bailiffs if you give us a call. Here are our details:

      Kind regards


  • tim

    hi there,ive been ill for about 2 yrs i finally had an operation in january during my opp they found a tumour in my head thankfully it was begnine but after losing lots of work during my ill health things where hard and ive ended up on medication for mental health last week i had my car repossed ive always kept in touch with the company and paid as much as i could i was told because of my mental state my car couldnt be taken? also they took it with my medication in for my asthma clothes kids stuff my wifes nans jewlery we recieved after her passing money i didnt have the keys i told them i was off to get them but when i returned they had taken it anyway any feed back would be great thank you

    • moneyaware

      Hello Tim

      I’m really sorry to hear about what a bad time you’ve been having and can understand how distressing this must have been.

      There’s more information here about what goods bailiffs are legally allowed to take and the processes they are obliged to follow.

      They should keep an inventory of items taken and they shouldn’t have taken any medication from you.

      Kind regards

  • LindaK

    Hi there. could you please advise me on this baffling/council tax issue.
    This is collected for the council by Bristow & Sutor for 2 previous years as below:-

    Collected by Bristow & Sutor (Oct-2017)
    SAL-T 5304 for £963.58
    SAL-T 5305 for £1395.73
    £2359.31 of which I’ve paid £586.31 since arrangement started in October.
    I pay £197 on the last day of every month towards this amount. Ongoing direct debit in place and not missed a payment since the arrangement started.

    Relating to same account above, on 30/11/17 Bristow & Sutor left a letter at my house stating I owe £2241.00 and this includes the £271 enforcement stage fee.

    My online account with Bristow & Sutor states I owe £2849.40 and want this payment in full although they have a record of the £586.31 I have paid so far.

    My Questions:-

    Why am I receiving enforcement when it is evident that I am paying the bill as arranged?
    Why are different amounts reflected on the letter of 30/11/17 and Bristow’s online account?

    I am even more confused after speaking to Bristow’s customer services guy who was very arrogant and unhelpful. I was trying to explain to him that the money paid on 9October was additional apart from their direct debit but he referred me back to the Bailiff. October was paid twice on 9 & 31 October and they are claiming that they are now pursuing me because the 9 October payment was late???

    I’d be grateful for your help.

    • moneyaware

      Hi Linda

      I’m sorry to hear you’re having to deal with this. I think it would be a good idea if you gave us a call, would you be able to do that?

      Details of how to contact us are on this page:

      Kind regards

  • Paula

    Hi. I am single and my daughter and her 2 month old son at present live with me. My daughter has a partner who visits and stays occasionally. Because he has no fixed address his post comes to my home. This morning I have had two bailiffs to my (rented) property, they said they were here to remove goods worth £1400 + for unpaid court charges for my daughters partner. The fact that my daughters partner has no assets and neither has my daughter did not deter them. They said because his post comes to my address they have the right to cease my goods. Can they do this? I have struggled financially for a lot of years and now that I ‘get by’ I feel everything I own is going to be taken away. They left a letter for my daughters partner that they would return one morning this week

    • moneyaware

      Hi Paula,

      Bailiffs should only take goods that belong to the person owing the money. So they shouldn’t take things they know belong to you. This can be complicated where it’s hard to prove who owns what, so having proof of ownership can be handy if bailiffs believe an item belongs to your daughter’s partner.

      I would recommend getting in touch with the bailiff company over the phone before they come back to explain the situation.

      If your daughter’s partner gets in touch with us we can give him some advice on dealing with this debt and any other debts he may have. Here are our contact details:

      Kind regards