Darkness falls across the land, the midnight hour’s close at hand, the radiator waits across a frigid room…to switch it on means budget doom!
And though you fight to stay warm…your body starts to shiver. For no mere mortal can deny…his Halloween sure is a chiller!
So in case you didn’t guess from the above butchery of the lyrics from Michael Jackson’s ‘Thriller’, today’s blogpost is about keeping warm, and how that can prove tricky when you’re trying to save the pennies. What you may not know however is how easy it is to switch to a less fiendish energy plan.
The latest data from Ofgem’s 2014 Consumer Engagement survey shows that a shocking three quarters of bill-paying tenants admit they’ve never switched to a cheaper supplier (77% for electricity and 74% for gas). And despite the fact that shopping around could save up to £200, one in five (20%) admit that they weren’t aware they could even switch to a different supplier.
Many people have fallen prey to the beastly myth that they must accept the energy suppliers already in place when they move in to a rented property. But very rarely is this the case.
The ‘Be an Energy Shopper’ website www.goenergyshopping.co.uk) now includes the key facts to set the record straight, along with top tips for breaking down the barriers which prevent renters applying their savvy shopping habits to their energy bills.
Top tips for the boo-dget conscious
- Take meter readings when moving in and out of rented accommodation
- Ask your landlord to highlight any supplier tie-ins upfront, including any exit fees which you wouldn’t have to pay if you wanted to switch suppliers
- Let your landlord know if you are intending to switch supplier
- Remember: if you are responsible for paying the gas and electricity bill, you have the right to switch at any time, and your landlord cannot unreasonably prevent you from doing so.
- Use our utility switch service for some sinister savings!
He did the switch! The monster switch!
Still need convincing? These hellishly helpful infographics should prove a stake in the heart to energy bill blues!