How to: England/Wales bankruptcy forms

IMPORTANT UPDATE, PLEASE READ: the bankruptcy application process for people living in England, Wales and Northern Ireland is changing in 2016. England and Wales residents are to complete their bankruptcy application online instead of using the forms featured in this article.

We will endeavour to update this page as soon as possible. In the meantime, please visit our bankruptcy changes page for more information

Justice scales law

Do you know how to fill your forms in correctly?

Our specialist bankruptcy support team get a lot of questions about the forms needed to go bankrupt.  

The first thing to remember is that bankruptcy is a big step that is not suitable for everyone, and we strongly recommend you contact us for advice first.


If it is definitely the best solution to your debt problems, we can help you throughout the bankruptcy process.  

Please note that this information is applicable in England and Wales only.

What forms are needed to go bankrupt?

Everyone going bankrupt in England and Wales needs to complete these two forms.  These are now only available online and you can’t get them from your local county court.  If you do not have a printer at home, try your local library.

If you are on a low income, you can complete this form to ask the court to reduce or waive the £180 court fee.  It is available online or you can get a copy from your local county court

(Update July 2016: you now apply for help court fees by filling in an online form)

How many copies do I need?

You must take three copies of forms 6.27 and 6.28 to your hearing.  You can complete one copy and photocopy it twice rather than writing it all out three times.  Photocopy it before you go to the hearing as the court may charge a lot for copying.

You only need to take one copy of form EX160A.  It comes with guidance notes to help you fill it out. These are the only pages you need to print.

What else do I need to take?

If you have completed form EX160, you should take up to date proof of income with you in case the court staff need this to decide if you qualify for help with the fees.

You must also take:

  • The £525 bankruptcy deposit and £180 court fee in cash.
  • Some proof of ID such as a passport or drivers licence.
  • A copy of your tenancy agreement, rent statement or similar if you live in rented property.

(Update July 2016: Bankruptcy fees have changed. You can find the updated bankruptcy fees on our website)

How to fill in forms 6.27 and 6.28

If you are not used to filling in paperwork, bankruptcy forms can look scary.

Form 6.27 is only a few pages long, but it can be confusing. There are some Insolvency Service guidance notes accompanying it which may help.

Form 6.28 is much longer but the questions are mostly straightforward.  The Insolvency Service has published some guidance notes which will help you complete it.

You should always remember the following tips when filling in these forms:

  • Don’t sign the forms – you will sign them at the court before your hearing.
  • All amounts should be rounded to the nearest pound – don’t show pennies.
  • If you can’t type the forms, you must write neatly in black ink and block capitals.  If you are hand-writing it, do a rough copy first or write in pencil and go over it in pen when you’re sure you have it right.
  • Some items in the assets page of form 6.28 can only be completed at the last minute. For example, you will only know how much ‘cash in hand’ you have on the day you go bankrupt.
  • Fill in all sections which apply to you.  If you are unsure about dates, addresses, amounts or account numbers do your best to find them.  Only give approximate dates or amounts if you really can’t get the correct information.
  • Give truthful and complete information in the forms – lying or hiding anything from the official receiver can get you into very serious trouble.

Finally, a word of warning – some unscrupulous companies will offer to complete bankruptcy forms for a charge.  The fees we’ve seen advertised for these ‘services’ often run into many hundreds.

If you’re still struggling to complete the forms after reading the guidance notes our dedicated Bankruptcy Support team can help you absolutely free of charge.


  • Bob

    What state benefits do you have to declare for bankruptcy. Obviously esa, housing benefits and child tax credits but what about disability living allowance and child benefit which are always excluded on other government claims

    • moneyaware

      Hi Bob,

      With bankruptcy you should always provide details of any income, benefits and living costs you have, including disability living allowance (DLA).

      Although in some cases you don’t have to include these, you’d need to show details of this for bankruptcy. Even if the official receiver (OR) doesn’t include this in any of their calculations.

      Kind regards


  • h willis

    I and my husband are going to go apply for bankrupcy next week we have been struggling for over 3 years this years coupled with the fact that we have had to leave our house and default the mortgage as my husband has been ill and the insurers would not pay out so I cannot stay in my home as the house is damp.
    I have now found somewhere else to live and rent. I am concerend that following a reassessment of my DLA I lost my car and becuase my credit rating was so poor I had to go and get a car on credit at trade centre wales who are not cheap i was awarded some PIp which i am now using for my car repayments. The Car was bought on credit for £9300 but we have only made two repayments. I am disabled so have to buy certain cars that are high up as i cannot get in and out of all cars. I use my car also for my work and to take my children to and from school. I would undoubtedly be grounded without my car and would lose my job to. I have the following questions:

    1) Is it likely given the value of the car that is on HP the Official receiver will take it off me?
    2) Does it matter if the car was bought in my husbands name as I couldn’t get credit?

    I would also like some guidance on what is reasonable for a food bill each month for a famly of 4 (although my daughter is 14 and 5ft 10) . I have listed £720 ?

    please can you help

    • moneyaware

      Hi there,

      Before applying for bankruptcy it’s important to get expert debt advice, if you haven’t already.

      As a debt charity all of our advice is free and impartial. If you’d like to get in touch with us to chat about your options, or discuss your situation in more detail then please feel free to contact us.

      With your car, it can be difficult to offer definitive advice because the official receiver (OR) assigned to deal with your bankruptcy
      would make the decision on a case-by-case basis. They’ll assess your assets and take into account your situation, which often means it’s tricky to give an indication on what will happen.

      In terms of your budget, it’s important to jus be honest and put down exactly what you spend for each area. While £720 may seem high for some, you may have specific dietary requirements that means it’s higher than normal. If there are any ways you can reduce your spending in this area, we’ve got some articles that could help:

      I hope this helps but if you have any more questions please contact us.

      Kind regards,


  • pete

    what happens to my pensions if i go bankrupt