• june ward

    thank u for this link was very helpul thanks or keeping me uptodate re benifit changes

  • Susan Short

    Thank you for the info.

  • Jean O’Reilly

    I am a pensioner receiving Pension Credit. Will these changes affect my Council Tax and Housing Benefit ?
    I am worried!

    • http://www.stepchange.org MoneyAware

      Hi Jean,

      The whole council tax benefit system is changing but if you’re in England or Scotland you’ll be protected from the changes due to being on Pension Credit – which basically means you won’t lose out. The way things currently stand in Wales should result in nobody losing any council tax benefit – but this is still slightly up in the air as the Assembly have still to approve changes they’ve made. We’ll be putting up a blogpost with more detail about council tax changes in the next few weeks.

      The housing benefit system will eventually be phased out, but this will just mean that you’ll be paid your money for rent under the name “Housing Credit” within your Pension Credit payments. This change may not happen for a few years and shouldn’t lead to change in the level of support you get, just a change in how it’s paid (as you’ll be paid the money directly to then pay your landlord).

      Hope this clears things up and thank you for posting.


  • http://WestKentHousingAssociation Ursula Harris

    Hi could you change your info about the benefits cap. The government announced in December the £500 cap was moving to late summer for all cases, except local authorities.
    we like your web-site and work and do refer our tenants to it, and it would be great if you could make sure it is kept up-to-date



  • Jonathan Tilson

    I am currently one of your customers and you have been very helpful with my my D.M.P. your information about the the benefit changes has been useful, Yours Faithfully, Jonathan Tilson.

  • albert joshua truswell

    Excellent service very happy with all the help given Thanks Guys And Girls for all the continuing help Albert

  • MR S.

    hi im on pension credit also receiving IB as well as DLA due to open heart operation and artificial metalic valve as well as long term severe diabetes … im going to be 63 in 15/07/13 im worried can u pls tell me will i lose some of my benefits ?

    • http://www.stepchange.org MoneyAware


      There are no plans to change Pension Credit at the moment, so no issues there. DLA is changing to a benefit called PIP (Personal Independence Payment) for people under 65 in April this year. This change is being introduced slowly though, existing claimants won’t be moved over until 2015 at the earliest, unless they have a change of circumstances and need to reapply. There’s more information here: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/disability/personal-independence-payment/#wpi.

      Hope this helps.


  • william mason

    I am an an OAP and I get attendance allowance. will this be affected?

    • http://www.stepchange.org MoneyAware

      Hi there William

      If you’re over the age of 64 and/or on pension credit, you should not be affected by the benefit changes.

      Best regards


  • David

    On a more philosophical note, the Department of Work and Pensions was tasked by the Government to ‘cut’ around £17 billion from the benefit system and less than £3 billion from it’s ‘delivery’ costs. The irony here is that it was inevitable that a ‘bureaucratic’ and ‘autonomous’ department would ‘increases’ it’s overhead costs by replacing an existing benefit system with the introduction of a ‘universal’ payments process that requires the redeployed DWP staff an a substantial increase in analysis costs, well done. My question to the DWP would be why did it make make £17 billion errors in claimants assessment in the first place if these are not real cuts. Furthermore, in applying the same ridiculous rationale, why don’t we just suggest a similar cut to David Cameron’s £150k Civil Servants salary ? .

    • Joe Bloggs

      How about taxing his spin doctor as well? Allegedly he is either a non-dom, a one man company or both and he pays very little income tax even though he is well paid.

  • http://None Midge

    How will the changes over to Universal Credit effect those currently on Working Tax Credit with the disability element be affected by the changes i.e. will they still get the extra supplement? Also reading the article about Universal Credit taking into account that earnings will be based on min wage earnings is worrying i.e. I don’t earn a min wage being self-employed which means the changes will mean I will be severely worse off???

    • http://www.stepchange.org MoneyAware

      Hi Midge,

      The Severe Disability Premium part of Working Tax Credits does not have an equivalent in Universal Credit so many people will lose out due to this change. Those affected will be covered in part by something called “transitional protection” which will temporarily be paid to those who lose out from the change to Universal Credit.

      Similarly, the self-employed earning calculation will assume minimum wage for self-employed people and could see people worse off. This too will be covered by transitional protection.

      You can read more about transitional protection here: http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/ucpbn-transitional-protection.pdf.

      It’s perhaps worth adding that Universal Credit is being introduced between now (in a small pilot area) and 2017 so there is plenty of potential for things to change between now and then.

      Kind regards


  • Claire Nash

    Hi I am in a relationship have 3 dependent children neither me or my partner are currently employed I get dla for my 13yr old child and also receive carer’s allowence his rates for dla middle n lower how will these changes affect us
    Other benefits are income support I claim for both n and my partner due to carer’s element as was suggested by benefit advisor also child tax credits and child benefit housing benefit and council tax benefit

    • http://www.stepchange.org MoneyAware

      Hi Claire,

      Your 13 year old’s DLA won’t be affected by the benefits changes for now, as the new Personal Independence Payment that will replace DLA only affects those between 16 and 65 (so in three years time it might be they are moved to the new system).

      Your Income Support, Tax Credits and Housing Benefit will all be rolled up into Universal Credit when that is introduced in your area. This change has only happened in a small trial area so far but will be rolled out nationally later this year but will be phased in gradually. It’s expected that everyone will be moved over by 2017, so it’s hard to say when this change will affect you.

      Council Tax Benefit has now been scrapped and replaced by Council Tax Support schemes run by local councils in England and the developed governments in the rest of the UK. You should have already heard about this change from your local council, but you could give them a call if you’re unsure.

      I hope this helps.


  • moneyaware

    Hi Craig and thanks for your

    I’d recommend that you try our benefits check anyway.


    I hope this helps.

    Kind regards,


  • Joe Bloggs

    The reason that the UK government is always short of money is simple. It allows the fat-cats to set themselves up as a company and pay less tax. Some become Non-Doms and have their companies registered in tax havens. Allegedly one well known fat-cat was able to get away with only paying £5000 Income Tax on an income of ELEVEN MILLION POUNDS!

    To make up the shortfall Joe Average gets screwed for every last brass farthing.

Back to top
mobile desktop